Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Stupid Church Signs

The Bible tells Christians to be the "salt and light" of the world. Unfortunately, when it comes to church signs, some Christians mistaken "salt and light" for "stupid and lame." I absolutely hate it when a church puts some ridiculous saying on their sign for the whole world to see, and believe me, the world is watching...and what they're seeing in front of many churches is shameful. No wonder we Christians are often seen as irrelevant, out-of-touch weirdos. Just take a look at some of the more popular - and idiotic - church sign slogans:

"Baskin Robbins isn't the only place with good Sundays"
"CH__CH: What's Missing? U R!!
"Dusty bibles lead to dirty lives"
"Forecast for heaven: reign forever"
"God answers knee-mail"
"Looking for a sign from God? This is it!"
"Stop, drop, and roll doesn't work in hell."
"The best vitamin for Christians is B1"
"Think it's hot here..."
"This church is prayer conditioned"
"Walmart isn't the only savings place"

When will these churches understand that people are not as stupid as they think they are? When will they realize that people are turned off and angered by their ridiculous slogans and insincere efforts to "save sinners" in their communities? When will they realize that hurting people don't want or need a "witty" slogan or a lame attempt at a "community outreach" event. When will they realize that what people need is to be loved for who they are and cared for right where they're at?

It's interesting that the churches that display these stupid sayings on their church signs often wonder why they're so ineffective at reaching out to those in their community. They need to look no further than their front lawn for the answer.

Do stupid church signs make your skin crawl like they do mine? Have you seen any that you'd like to share? Join me in exposing them by sharing them here.

5 comments:

Bill said...

I tend to avoid Church Signs, for the simple fact that I'm sick of throwing up in my mouth. That never tastes good.

On a similar note, here's a recently made church ad that doesn't suck: http://bit.ly/cf6EC

James Carlyle said...

I think that a lot of it stems from the idea that many churches have that they need to "save" people, or get them to say a sinner's prayer and convert them to Christianity.

Many people seem to ignore or forget that Jesus never told us to do that... he told us to make disciples, and that requires a lot more effort than simply getting someone to say a prayer and expect a total life change overnight.

It almost feels [to me] like tricking people into becoming a "christian" and then using those efforts as an excuse to ignore the suffering and need you see all around you every day and just ignore. "I left a tract on a bench today, so I don't need to sit down and visit with this homeless guy".

Do you get what I mean?

-JH

Evonne said...

I drive by a church sign nearly every day near my house. One day I had had enough. It was near Resurrection Sunday and it said, "No bunny ever died for you." -or something very close to that. I called the church office. "Hello, I am not part of your body, but I am a Believer, part of the church at large. I am calling about your reader board. It is just embarrassing. It trivializes the Cross and the Gospel. And unbelievers don't even know what it means! I know that I don't have any real influence here...but I hear that you are a sound Bible-believing church. The Bible is full of wonderful verses. The Lord has promised us that His word will not return void. Please, couldn't you just post the Word of God? We know that it is active and living. We are in the world and not of it. We don't do the "World" well. We shouldn't be trying to compete. How about just using the Bible. I don't think that it will fail us and it will draw those who the Lord is calling. Please?" They were very kind and surprised. The secretary thanked me for the call and promised to pass the request along. Since then they have used Scripture, maybe because of my call...maybe not...anyway...Yea! and kudos to them for being so gracious! I think we need to speak the truth in love to one another. I believe we need be involved. Now I am not annoyed. I am grateful to the little mountain church I pass nearly every day. And I am taught of the Lord each time I read His word as I pass by. Yea!m

Marsha, Marsha, Marsha said...

Looks to me like they are saying hell is listening to their preacher.....°Ü°

Chris Tegard said...

I was at Myrtle Beach Bike Week where we were ministering to other bikers. One church had a sign that only had 2 words on it, "QUIET PLEASE". Don't think they reached anyone.