Saturday, March 14, 2009

Magnificent Life; Magnificent Worship

I'm always on the lookout for fresh, new worship music. I have over 5,000 songs on my iPod, with a wide variety of musical styles: from heavy metal to classical; from Seattle grunge to club techno. I even have a couple (as in 2 or 3) country music songs on my iPod, but that's a secret meant to be kept just between you and me! In the midst of it all, the music I find myself listening to the most is music that creatively and passionately exalts the Lord Jesus Christ: worship music. Recently, I found such a song in a pretty unlikely place.

It's not on the latest Chris Tomlin or David Crowder album. It's on U2's latest album, No Line on the Horizon,with a song simply titled, Magnificent. Although U2 has been known over the years for writing songs that talk about the Lord, this song is the most blatant "worship" song I've ever heard from them. Here's a sample of the lyrics from the song:

I was born
I was born to sing for you
I didn’t have a choice but to lift you up
And sing whatever song you wanted me to
I give you back my voice
From the womb my first cry, it was a joyful noise…

Only love, only love can leave such a mark
But only love, only love can heal such a scar

Justified till we die, you and I will magnify
The Magnificent
Magnificent
Magnificent

And the song is pretty magnificent as well, by the way!

Over the years, I've been very intrigued by Bono - the lead singer of U2, in case you've been living under a rock the last 20 years. I've been trying to figure out exactly who he is. U2 is one of the top selling live bands in the world, and they've sold millions and millions of albums. Some would say that they're the best rock band of all time. But in the midst of all the accolades and the millions upon millions of dollars made, Bono has consistently professed faith in Jesus Christ.

Lately, he's become better known for his work fighting against AIDS in Africa than for his music. He meets with world leaders and generates billions of dollars in relief for those suffering from AIDS and for the millions of children who have lost parents to AIDS. He's not doing this as a "side-gig" to his U2 involvement, but he sees the fame and fortune he's garnered from U2 as a platform to do what he feels God has called him to do. His efforts in Africa has even landed him on a short list for the Nobel Peace Prize.

I recently read the book, Walk On: The Spiritual Journey of U2, and I'm more convinced than ever that Bono is the real deal. He's a man living a "missional life," (more missional living) understanding that God has blessed him in order to be a blessing to others. His goal is to bring an end to AIDS in Africa. Pretty lofty goal, but if there's someone who might be able to use his influence to pull it off, it's Bono.

Bono lives his life as worship to the Lord...and he writes a mean worship song as well!

No comments: