Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Another Stupid Church Sign


So, who are they trying to encourage to come with this one? The unbeliever driving by will have no idea what this sign means, and as a believer, this sermon title really doesn't appeal to me. I mean, why would I want to come listen to a preacher talk about how bad and "worldly" believers can be. I already know, because I often am one, and I serve at a church full of people who struggle with this as well!

Posting sermon titles on a church sign is never really a good idea. Sermon titles often sound ridiculous to unbelievers, and believers don't really care what the title of the sermon is. Usually, the only people who really care are the preacher and his secretary who assembles the bulletin. For sure, people driving by really don't care what the title of the sermon is. Churches ought to just stick to posting service times and the church's web site address on their sign. Or better yet, they should put a passage of Scripture on the sign and let God's Word speak for itself.

No comments: